Just before Christmas, I had the opportunity to partner with SheBuysCars.com to test drive a brand new 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE for a week to review its features and performance. Here are my thoughts about the car and the reasons why I think it is a great family car (and really for anyone in the market for a new car)!
Before this test drive, the last Toyota Camry I had driven was our beloved 1986 Camry we owned from 1991 to sometime in the late 90’s. It was the first car my husband and I purchased as a couple and it served me well back in the days when I commuted to and from the hospital where I worked. When I became a WAHM (work at home mom), it became our family car and was great for those first several years of our children’s lives.
Our Toyota Camry was also special to us because it was our youngest child’s birthplace. Yes, I gave birth to our youngest child in the front passenger seat of our Camry on the side of the highway in Oklahoma City!
So,when it came time that we really needed to upsize to a minivan to allow me to transport my kids and daycare children to/from school, I was very reluctant and sad to let the Camry go. So I was very excited to test drive the 2016 model!
The 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE I test drove was a gorgeous blue color called Parisian Night Pearl. Here’s what it looked like:
While color is important to me when I’m considering the purchase of a vehicle, it is not nearly as important as safety, reliability, gas mileage, and all the other myriad of decisions that go into determining if a car is the right one for my family.
So here are the top 5 reasons why I think the 2016 Toyota Camry is a great family car:
1) Its Safety Features:
- There are 10 standard airbags on the 2016 Toyota Camry. TEN! So not only is the driver protected but so are all your passengers.
- Pre-Collision System:
- Star Safety System:
- Safety Connect:
- Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) Seats
- Blind Spot Monitor – One of my favorite features of this car! What a BRILLIANT and incredibly helpful feature!
- Lane Departure Alert
- Backup Camera
- And if that weren’t enough, you can see all the safety features on Toyota’s website.
2) Its Performance: The Camry I drove handled the roads very well and was a quiet, smooth ride. So even if your kids are loud, at least the car itself is quiet! This car had plenty of “get up and go” when needed, such as accelerating to merge onto a highway, and braked smoothly. The fuel economy is 40 city/38 hwy. (And the Hybrid, which I test drove, is an awesome choice for saving gas money!) Overall, it was an enjoyable car to drive.
3) Its Trunk Space: The 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE has a large trunk, just right for groceries, shopping trips, sports gear, or luggage on a road trip!
4) Its Classic Beauty: The 2016 Toyota Camry is sleek and beautiful, both inside and out! This is one car your kids won’t be embarrassed to be seen getting into in the school pickup line! (Or being born in, but I REALLY wouldn’t recommend doing that. Trust me!)
5) Its Technology: The Toyota Camry has lots of available technology features that will please even the most “tech-geekiest” person in your family and make driving the car safer and also, more fun!
I truly enjoyed the week-long test drive and was sad to have to give the car back when the week ended. The 2016 Toyota Camry is definitely on my shopping list when it comes time to replace my 10 year old minivan! If you’d like to learn more about the Camry, be sure to check out Toyota.com for all the available models!
Disclosure: I received compensation to facilitate this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This post was made possible by SheBuysCars.com.
Get the latest updates from MomRN!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.